P.H. Carmichael Scholars are high school students who desire a post-secondary education. These scholars meet college entry requirements and also are in need of mentoring assistance to help them enter and graduate from college. Scholars must apply through the Foundation for program consideration.
The benefits of being a Scholar:
- Personal academic advisement
- Test preparation
- Workshops on college preparation topics including applications, identifying colleges that are a good fit, essays, financial aid, and scholarships
- College trips and visits from admissions officers to expose Scholars to a range of colleges
- Access to mentors and tutors
- Cultural enrichment activities that allow Scholars to meet experts from various professions and experience a well-rounded lifestyle
- Activities that expose Scholars to a range of colleges and panel discussions with recent high school and college graduates
Potential scholars apply their sophomore year of high school.
Interested scholars must be enrolled in high school and MUST desire a college education.
1. Complete the PHCF Scholar Application. Click to download/view.
2. Mail two (2) signed letters of recommendation. Letters must be academic and/or professional (relatives may not submit letters of recommendation for scholars).
3. Mail a 500-700 word essay stating why you want to participant in the program and how being a scholar is beneficial to your academic success.
Mail to, Attn: Program Coordinator, 112 Bedford Rd, Greenwood, SC 29649
**Potential scholars and their parent/guardian must also complete an interview before program entrance. Interviews typically are two weeks after the application deadline.
Please submit the scholar application. Deadline is May 1 at midnight EST. Apply Now or request a print application from Carmen Smith.